Welcome to Crossakiel

Crossakiel in 1837 was a post town containing 200 inhabitants on the road from Kells to Oldcastle. There were at that time about 60 houses in the village. A constabulary police force was stationed there and petty sessions held every alternative week. The parochial church is described as a handsome structure with a loft spire. There were also a dispensary and a school under the trusteeship of Erasmus Smith Charity. Sunday school was also held there. These notes are from the Topographical Dictionary.

The Survey Name Book gives the area of the town land as 929 acres of which about 33 were plantation. It was the property of W.B. Wayde. Fairs were held on May 9th, August 10th and December 15th. There are two forts in the town land and there was a moat in the village. St Shiria's Church

A well known as “Tobar Lacknive” (Well of the Heavenly Flagstone) was situated almost 4 miles north west of the village. It was said to have curative properties, but was almost closed up and neglected when the survey took place in 1836. It is to be seen in a marshy corner of a pasture field and would scarcely attract the attention of a casual observer but for a very clear stream which flows from it.

Click on the links below to find more about Crossakiel and local places of interest:-

Cist Burial Found
Crossakiel Fair
Erasmus Smith Old School
McCabe's Pub
The Welcome Wagon
The Cosy Corner
P. Carney Ltd
Crossakiel Races
Jim Connell
Jim Connell - The Red Flag
Crossakiel Handball Club
Crossakiel & Clonmellon Gun Club
Tower Of Lloyd
Megalithic Graves - Loughcrew
St Ciaran's Well
Fore Abbey - Fore
Kells Road Race
St Shiria's Church
Clonabreany House

 

Designed By Scorpion Creative
DMC Firewall is a Joomla Security extension!